Writer's block... cook's block... it's been a strange month, and not particularly creative. What was very fruitful this July: Tablehopper has a late-night dining app out. You should go download it, because I put a lot of hard work (with a good dose of pavement-pounding) into that sucker. And Marcia's reviews are pretty spot-on. Wonderful to see that done, done, done!
But otherwise, I didn't do as much imaginative cooking as I'd have liked. Well... I shouldn't say that. I didn't do imaginative cooking in a way that was appropriate for this blog. No photos when I made my first tagine; no photos recounting my quest to prepare the very best roast chicken, one of Thomas Keller's obsessions; no photos of the gorgeous salads I made with my killing from the farmer's market.
And let's face it: a food blog without photos is just odd. It's my Mazda without the insanely awful GPS on my Android: no reference, no direction, and just a little ugly.
So thank goodness for that farmer's market produce. It's amazing just how good good product can make you feel if you're in a cooking funk. Lemon cucumbers, Summer squashes, the very first tomatoes (they'll be even better this month), peaches, Dirty Girl strawberries (which I, like a brute beast, inhaled upon getting home. Yup, the entire basket). What's my point? I finally have inspiration. I am fully aware of all the wonderful food I can create. Thus, it will be easier to catalog.
So, for the few readers that I do have, this blog will have material soon -- a Weekly Market segment for sure, other segments that I haven't quite fleshed out, and maybe I will record, frame-by-frame, my insane desire for a near-perfect roast chicken, with epic, paragraph-long footnotes.
Think there's not much to write about chicken? Oh, how I will prove you wrong. That one's gonna take a while to put together.
I'll also be making a little pit stop at the SF Chefs Grand Tasting tent this Saturday. Do expect a report, with photos and everything. Ooooh, look at me go!
I promise: I will become a proper Blogger!
No comments:
Post a Comment